How to Improve Emotional Intelligence? 5 Skills That Must Need
Emotional Intelligence. What a challenge! Today’s article has no other aim than to introduce you with five effective techniques that will make it easier for you to increase your Emotional Intelligence. These five techniques on how to improve emotional intelligence. They are positive thoughts, visualization, self-control, cognitive restructuring, and problem-solving.
How to improve emotional intelligence?
So I do not entertain you anymore, and I give way to the development of the article. We set sail …
1. Positive thoughts
The relationship between Emotional Intelligence and positive thoughts is closely linked to the stress you generate, and your environment determines that. In this sense, it is essential to realize or become aware of stress when it appears.
It is really useful to generate positive phrases such as:
- I’m just looking forward to facing this situation.
- Worrying won’t help.
- Then I will feel better.
- Although I don’t like what I am going through, I must try to control myself.
The repetition of these phrases allows you to move from a stress stage to greater control because you have been able to focus your thoughts positively. When you do it, you will see we can relativize how much of your stress. For this, you can use phrases like:
- I can be satisfied with my progress.
- Every time I face stress better.
The skill called visualization is a very effective technique to improve your self-image. But,
what does it consist of? Basically, it consists of relaxing and intensely imagining different scenes in the most vivid and real way possible, trying to incorporate as many details as possible.
Visualization ability is also effective for stress reduction, besides being a self-esteem enhancer.
How do you work the visualization skill? To work this technique, go progressively. You have to start imagining very simple scenes.
Once these scenes have been consolidated from the point of view from a visual perspective, it is when auditory elements are incorporated to move on to all sensory modalities.
This type of technique to increase Emotional Intelligence is not only useful for stress reduction but also used to treat certain phobias.
Strategies to create effective visualizations:
- Imagine walking towards a goal.
- Visualize yourself as an active character in a scene.
- Visualize an affirmative body language: smile, upright posture, outstretched arms …
- Reproduce self-affirmations such as ” I feel good as I am .”
It has been proven that negative thoughts generate negative emotions. Hence, it is so important to reduce it and even make it disappear. Self-control is closely linked to what is called thought arrest. So,
What do I need to move from a negative thought to a positive thought?
- Detect what my obsessive thoughts are.
- Disrupt obsessive thoughts through outside help.
- Disrupt obsessive thoughts without outside help.
- Replacement of obsessive thinking with a positive one.
4. Cognitive restructuring
The main idea of this ability is to demonstrate that it is not the situations that directly generate your emotions or determine your behavior, but the interpretations you make of those situations. Y,
What happens to your thoughts?
They are empirically false. They generate dysfunctions or, what is the same irrational beliefs. For example: ” I must be loved equally by all the members of my family.” “Factors cause happiness and unhappiness beyond my control, and I cannot do anything to control my feelings.” They are automatic and difficult to detect. For example: “life is supposed to be fair.”
To combat this type of thoughts, it is necessary:
- Recognize the irrationality of some beliefs.
- Learn to describe a situation from real events accurately.
- Assume that it is not always the responsibility of you.
- Avoid the tendency to catastrophe by projection over time that is, by imagining yourself in the future.
5. Conflict resolution
The ability related to conflict resolution must start from the following premises:
- Learn to identify the conflict.
- Ability to generate alternative solutions.
- Ability to evaluate which is the best option.
- Determination for decision making and its implementation.
- I will not develop these last four points because in Justify your answer there is a category related precisely to conflict resolution.
But I would like to influence a technique related to conflict resolution that I find useful and effective. It’s about brainstorming.
Brainstorming is a group technique that aims to stimulate creativity to get many ideas in a very short time. Therefore, Brainstorming starts from the following premises:
- Donot judge.
- It gives full freedom to the formulation of ideas. Any idea is welcome and accepted.
- It is a great generator of alternatives. What does this mean? That prioritizes quantity over quality.
- It promotes the combination of several ideas to generate better ideas.
Emotional Intelligence for personal success. Accept the challenge? I, once again, count on you.