I will go to university very soon. What do I do if I get sick?
Maintaining a healthy life is the best way to prevent illness. The three most important things you can do are rest, eat well and exercise.
Rest. Do not you take off time to rest! Sleeping too little can cause serious problems, such as the following:
- You may be more likely to get colds and other minor illnesses. Your body can not fight germs very well when it is tired and worn.
- You will be more likely to feel stressed or depressed.
- You may find it hard to stay awake during class.
- You may have problems concentrating on projects and exams.
So try to sleep 8 to 9 hours each night.
Eat well. Food vending machines and junk food may be cheap and readily available for those who are too busy or have a limited budget. However, it is important to eat well. Follow these recommendations:
- Eat fruits and vegetables every day (your goal should be five a day).
- It consumes lean meats, fish, and poultry.
- Eat foods high in calcium, such as low-fat dairy products.
- Limit junk food or foods high in fat, sugar and salt.
- Limit sweetened drinks like soft drinks, juices, tea or sweetened coffee and sports drinks.
Following a proper vegetarian diet in college is possible. However, that may require additional planning so you can get all the nutrients you need.
Exercise. Another important part of staying healthy is getting enough exercise. There are three basic types of exercise that we should ideally all do:
- Aerobic exercise strengthens the heart and lungs. Examples include cycling, jogging, fast walking, swimming, aerobic dancing, and paddling.
- The strengthening exercise serves to tone and develops muscles and bone mass. You can do sit-ups, squats, leg lifting or use resistance weights or bands.
- Stretching exercise, such as yoga, improves flexibility or scale of movement.
Do not have time to use? There are several ways to include a little exercise in your daily life. For example, instead of driving or taking the bus to go to class, go on foot or bike. If you are not used to exercising or if you have a chronic health problem, it is advisable to talk to your pediatrician or a doctor at the health center before beginning an exercise program.
University Health Care
If you are going to live in a university residence, find out if your university has a medical center for students. This is a place you can go to for medical care, help, information, and counseling. These types of centers usually have a trained and different team of health professionals. They also know pediatricians and other doctors in the sector in case you need additional care.
Even if you’re already in college, your pediatrician is still worrying about your health. You can call him when you have any questions. If you continue to live near your doctor’s office, you can continue to ask for appointments or see him when you return home on vacation or study breaks. You may want to see your pediatrician for a medical check-up before you start studying (your university may require it). More reviews on Gamesplanet.org.